Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ultrasound

For some, the arrival of a premature baby happens suddenly and without warning. For others, there is time to prepare for the inevitable. Although we did not know the exact date Buzzy would be born, we knew that she would come before 34 weeks, which is the longest the doctors would let me continue with the pregnancy.

During the four weeks I stayed in the hospital, the doctors and nurses watched both me and Buzzy closely. Frequent ultrasounds helped them to determine what kind of environment Buzzy was in and how she was faring in it. Instead of looking to make sure all the parts were in the right place and to determine the sex of the baby, the ultrasound looked to see how much fluid I had and to estimate Buzzy's weight.

Before my water broke, there had been some other complications with my pregnancy. Each time something seemed wrong, we had an ultrasound, and each time, we were fearful of the outcome. It was on one of these occasions that Buzzy seemed to give us a sign that all was indeed well.



As I will be gone for the next three days, I leave you with this. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment