Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Purple

Today marks two important occasions in my household. First, Buzzy's father celebrates his birthday. (Happy birthday, old man!) Second and more globally important, today is the first ever World Prematurity Day, the purpose of which is to raise awareness for the millions of babies worldwide that are born prematurely each year. The March of Dimes estimates that there are 13 million such premature births. That is 13 million babies whose lives are threatened from the instant they first draw breath. It is 13 million mothers who may blame themselves for an event they likely had no control over. It is also 13 million families whose lives will forever be changed in ways they may not immediately understand.

In honor of the occasion, I am wearing purple, the color associated with the cause and also my favorite. Buzzy is also dressed in purple, and as we go about town, many may think we are simply a cute mother and daughter who are dressed alike. (I can live with that. We are a cute pair.) I, on the other hand, will be proud to be dressed like my beautiful daughter because at her young age, she represents hope and survival. She and millions like her are fighters. Born into a world they are not yet equipped to handle, they struggle against the odds and inspire us all before they are even aware of themselves and their surroundings.

There is a great poem by Jenny Joseph that begins with the line, "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple." In this poem, she speaks of the things she will do when she no longer has to care about what others think of her. For her, wearing purple is a celebration of her life. Today, I do not have to wait until I am old to celebrate life. Today I shall proudly wear purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment